Today we focus our sights on breaking free from repetitive culinary routines.
We travel to the East African nation of Tanzania…on the island of Zanzibar. Stone Town, to be
exact. A cultural melting pot for generations.
The spirit re-animating: Zanzibar pizza.
This is a unique and exotic take on the original. It’s a flat bread pizza with a spicy tomato
sauce base combining garlic and flavorful chillies that will make your taste buds sing.
Cultures from around the world never fail in showing us new takes on cuisine waiting to be
explored. Zanzibar, a coastal East African island boasting epic landscapes and beautiful
beaches…is no exception.
Most people are not interested in the different ways to explore their favorite Italian foods…..but
believe us when we tell you: routine was meant to be broken on this gem.
Follow along with our recipe below to make Zanzibar Pizza at home, tonight.
-2 cups plain flour
-½ teaspoon salt
-½ cup of water
-1 cup cooking oil *fresh fry*
-500g finely minced meat *beef*
-1 teaspoon garlic paste
-3-4 fresh bullet chilies chopped (or any other chili you have)
-1 red onion, very finely chopped
-Salt, pepper and/or spice to taste
For The Pizza Dough
1. Sieve the flour into a bowl then add the salt and water to make a smooth dough. Next, “knead” (mix/fold/stretch) the dough for 2-3 minutes.
2. Divide the dough into 6 equal balls and place in a shallow dish.
3. Pour the oil over the dough balls making sure they are well coated. Once well coated, cover the dish and set aside for two hours.
For The Stuffing:
- Mix the minced meat with salt, pepper, garlic and ginger paste before frying the meat until fully cooked. Make sure to stir the meat while frying.
- Allow the meat to cool then add the finely chopped onion, coriander and chopped chilies to the prepared meat.
Putting The Pizza Together:
- Stretch each dough ball into a very thin 10” circle. Make sure the edges are thinner than the inner part of the dough.
- Add the stuffing/meat to the dough then crack an egg over the stuffing.
- Close the dough with the meat and egg inside by bringing up the two sides and folding.
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil on a medium heated griddle or iron pan and fry the dough on both sides until the egg is cooked.
Cut into desired size and serve with salad or chutney.